Kandharasana ‘Shoulder Pose’
The name of this asana bears its origin from the Sanskrit language. The word ‘kandha’ is a sanskrit word meaning ‘shoulder’, on the other hand, ‘asana’ means ‘pose’ or ‘posture’. Shoulders play an important role in this asana as the weight of some of our body parts is put on the shoulders. It is for the same reason, called ‘Shoulder Pose’ in English.
- Lie on the back The position of Savasana: Bend the legs at knees so that the feet lie flat on ground and the heels touch the buttocks.
- Hold the ankles with the hands. With this, the starting position is maintained.
- Make an arch by lifting the buttocks and the back alongwith.
- Keeping the shoulder and feet stationary, lift the chest and navel as high as possible towards the chin without straining.
- This is to make sure that the feet and shoulders lie firm on the ground.
- the final position where the weight of the whole body lies on the feet, arms, shoulders, neck and the head.
- Remain at the same position as long as it is comfortable (remember to breathe normally while performing this asana). When it becomes unbearable, lower the body to the starting position.
- Relax the hands and stretch the legs.Repeat the process about 5 to 10 times
Precautions for kandharasana
- It is better to perform this asana before or after a ‘forward bending asana’. It also forms a preparatory position for the ‘Chakrasana’.
- The limit to hold the final position is 15 to 20 seconds
- breathe normally throughout the performance of the asana. The body limits must not be crossed.repetition of 5 to 10 times according to your body strength.
- People with serious knee or shoulder injuries and severe back pain are advised not to practice this kandharasana.
- People with problems with duodenal ulcers, or abdominal hernia must not practice this asana.
Benefits of kandharasana
- Kandahar asana helps to stay naval intact which helps in improving digestion and healthy stomach.
- Kandharasana is performed in order to realign the spine and relieve backache.
- It is useful to cure pain in many of the body parts such as back, shoulders, knees and throat.
- It attempts to improve digestion by massaging the abdominal organs.
- Kandharasana makes the female reproductive organs strong. Women with tendency of miscarriage must perform this asana. The chances of miscarriage decline if this asana is performed before conceiving.
- kandharasana is the cure for the mismanagement of menstrual disorders, prolapse, asthma and bronchial conditions.
- Kandharasana helps men in increasing sperm count sexual disorder.
- Kandharasana helps stomach problems.